This guide will walk you through the overview of the regulatory compliance feature and about the compliance application & review process.
Plivo provides virtual phone numbers across multiple countries. Many of these phone numbers have compliance requirements put in place by the regional regulatory body. Ownership and subsequent usage of these virtual phone numbers is subject to an approval process wherein the end-users provide the necessary information and documents to the regulatory body for review. Once the required information has been reviewed, and approved, by Plivo and its carrier partners, the information and/or documents can be linked to a virtual phone number post which the number is ready to be used for Voice and SMS services.
A compliance requirement, or the set of documents and/or information required prior to owning a virtual phone number, is uniquely defined by the national regulatory body based on the following parameters:
- Country of the Phone Number
- Phone number type: Local / Toll Free / Mobile
- End-User type: Business / Individual
An example of a compliance requirement can be found below:
“For a Business to own a Toll Free virtual phone number in country XYZ, the following is required:
- An address in the country of the phone number
- Company representative Identification with proof
The process to rent a regulated phone number can be briefly summarized as follows:
- Step1: Search for a number
- Step2: View regulations associated with that number
- Step3: Submit required compliance information and documentation
- Step4: Plivo review of submitted documentation
- Step5: Successful activation of phone number(s)
Compliance information and documentation required to meet the regional regulations can be bundled together in a Compliance Application. The same compliance application will then be linked with the selected phone numbers to initiate review and subsequent activation of Voice and SMS services.
Regulatory requirements for phone numbers can be complex and time-consuming. With “Compliance Applications” our aim is to simplify the entire process for our customers. From submitting documents for review to activating regulated phone numbers, Compliance Applications helps users to:
- Get clear visibility into the information/documents required prior to use of a regulated phone number.
- Reuse already submitted documents to ensure compliance across multiple countries.
- Create multiple collections of documents for different end-users.
- Associate collections of documents to a phone number to ensure compliance in the region.
Compliance Application is a logical grouping of documents required for ensuring compliance for a unique combination of phone number country, number type and end-user type. A user can choose to create a Compliance Application during the phone number rent process or create one independently on the new Compliance Application screen on console.