Introducing Plivo Python SDK 4.0 (Beta)
EDIT: The Python SDK is now out of Beta. Please refer to the GA release blogpost to know more.
We are excited to announce the public beta of the Plivo Python SDK 4.0, the next version of our Python helper. This announcement is the first of several announcements we will make over the next couple of weeks regarding our next version of helpers.
Note that all the new features would only be added to this version going forward. The existing Python helper, 0.11.x, (now called the legacy version) will receive only the critical bug fixes and security patches.
- The new SDK works with both Python 2 & 3. It has been tested against 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6.
- JSON serialization and deserialization is now handled by the SDK
- The API interfaces are consistent and guessable
- Handles pagination automatically when listing all objects of a resource
- The new SDK has excellent IDE support (including but not limited to PyCharm, Atom, Vim and Sublime Text) without the need to juggle between documentation and code
- Get started with the Python SDK on Plivo Developers Portal
- See more examples of how you can use this SDK at Plivo API Reference for the latest Python SDK
- Check out our guide on how to set up the dev environment and start serving Plivo XML in under 5 minutes.
- Report any feedback or problems with this beta version by opening an issue on Github.
- You can view the codebase for this version at https://github.com/plivo/plivo-python/tree/4.0
Why a v4.0 after v0.11.3
There are a couple of reasons for this. One being, our helpers have been updated independently earlier with several major releases (for example, Java), while a few helpers were still in 0.x (for example Python). Since we are rewriting all the SDKs from scratch, we wanted to give a common version to all of them this time. The second reason being, the new SDK is released after a long gap since the initial 0.x release and is significantly different in terms of features and performance - so a v4 made sense for this release.
We recommend you use the new version of the helper as this is the only version where the new features will be added going forward. Report any feedback or problems with this beta version by opening an issue on Github.