Configuring 3CX to connect with Zentrunk
Zentrunk is a SIP Trunking service from Plivo that allows you to connect with fixed and mobile phones in over 200 countries. Connect your cloud or on-premise communication infrastructure to Plivo’s Zentrunk SIP Trunking service to connect to your customers easily.
This documentation provides a basic configuration to get 3CX up and running with Plivo as the external SIP gateway.
To get started with Zentrunk using 3CX you would need to do the following:
- Install 3CX on your environment.
- Create a Trunk on Zentrunk using Plivo Console.
- Configure Outbound Trunk on 3CX to connect to the Trunk created in the previous step.
Installation of 3CX
For more information on installing 3CX, see the following 3CX documents:
- Supported Operating Systems for 3CX installation are listed here.
- Follow the instructions given here to install 3CX on Windows.
Create a Trunk on Zentrunk
You can create a trunk using Plivo Console. For more information on creating a Trunk on Plivo Console, see Getting Started with Zentrunk.
Configuring Outbound Trunk on 3CX
Configuring your Outbound Trunk involves the following steps:
- Adding an Extension.
- Adding a Trunk.
- Adding Outbound rules.
- Configuring X-Lite.
Note: There are many softphones that you can use (for example, X-Lite, Blink for Linux, etc). In this tutorial, we will be using the X-Lite Softphone.
To add an extension
- From the Extension, click Add.
- On the Extensions page, in the General tab, enter the following details:
- Extension - Name of the extension
- First Name and Last Name are optional
- Outbound Caller ID - CallerID for calls placed out on this trunk
- On the Extensions page, in the Options tab, uncheck the option Disallow use of extension outside the LAN (Remote extensions using Direct SIP or STUN will be blocked), and then click OK.
To add a trunk
- From your 3CX dashboard, click on SIP Trunks.
- On the SIP Trunks page, click Add SIP Trunk.
- On the Add SIP Trunk/VoIP Provider page, enter the following details:
- Set Select Country to Generic
- Set Select Provider in your Country to Generic SIP Trunk
- Enter a trunk number in the Main Trunk No field.
- Click OK.
- Next, enter the trunk details
- Name of Trunk: A friendly name for the trunk
- Registrar/Server/Gateway Hostname or IP: Trunk domain from Plivo console
- Outbound Proxy: Trunk domain same as Registrar/Server/Gateway Hostname or IP Authentication
- Authentication ID (aka SIP User ID):User name associated with the trunk (If the trunk is auth based)
- Authentication Password:Password associated with the trunk (If the trunk is auth based)
- In the Route calls to section, under Destination for calls outside office hours, select the extension created in the previous step for Destination for calls during office hours and Destination for calls outside office hours
- Next, on the Caller ID tab, enter the Configure Outbound Caller ID, and then click OK.
To add an outbound rule
- From your 3CX dashboard, click on Outbound Rules.
- In the outbound rules page, click on Add to add the outbound rules.
- In the Add Outbound Rule page, fill the following details
- Rule name: Give a name to the outbound rule
- Calls to numbers starting with the prefix: Specify the prefix to which outbound calls are allowed (Optional, leave blank if calls to all numbers need to be allowed)
- Calls from extension(s): Mention the extension(s) from which calls needs to be allowed.
- Calls to Numbers with a length of: Length of the number to which calls needs to be allowed (Ex: 12).
- Select the trunk for the routes in the** Make outbound calls** on section
To configure X-Lite
- Download and install X-Lite.
- On X-Lite, navigate to Preferences.
- On the Accounts tab, click Add Account, and then click New SIP Account.
- Enter the User ID and Authorization name. Note: Use the extension name for the User ID and ID for the Authorization name (can be found in the Authentication section of extension page).
- In the Domain field, enter the domain of your 3CX machine (URL of your 3cx service, ex: xxxx.3cx.sg).
- In the Password field, enter the password for your extension (can be found in the Authentication section of extension page).
- Once you have configured X-Lite, click OK.
Your endpoint entry will be displayed in the Accounts tab. If all configuration details are accurate, the status column will turn green signifying that the account is enabled.