Plivo iOS SDK V2 - Setting up Push Credentials
The following section explains on how to receive incoming calls on the Plivo iOS SDK v2 using pushkit. To receiving an incoming call, you must:
- Enable VoIP services in your application.
- Create the VoIP service certificate.
- Create a provisioning profile for your app.
- Create a push credential (.p12 file) using the VoIP certificate.
- Update the information in the Plivo dashboard.
Let us see each of these steps in detail.
1. Enable VoIP services in your application
To enable VoIP services from XCode, select the “Capabilities” tab and enable the following settings:
- Make sure “Push Notifications” and “Background Modes” are set to On.
- Within “Background Modes”, enable “Audio, AirPlay, and Picture in Picture”, “Background Fetch”, and “Remote Notifications” settings.
On the “Info” tab, add “App provides Voice over IP services” to list of Required Background Modes.
2. Create VoIP Service Certificate
To create a VoIP service certificate, you must:
- Create a certificate signing request (CSR)
- Create the service certificate using the CSR
Create a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
Certificate signing request (CSR) is a prerequisite for creating a certificate in the iOS Dev Center. To generate the CSR:
- Open Keychain access by selecting “Keychain Access” in Utilities folder.
- From the “Keychain Access” menu, navigate to Certificate Assistant > Request a Certificate From a Certificate Authority.
- Enter a descriptive name for your CSR. For example, iosplivoapp.certSigningRequest.
- Choose the location to save it on your hard drive, and then click Save.
- On the Apple Developer portal, make sure that your App ID has the “Push Notifications” service enabled.
Visit the Certificates section (production tab) in Apple Developer portal.
- Click ‘Add Certificate’ to add a new Production certificate.
- In the certificate type, select ‘VoIP Services Certificate’, and then click ‘Continue’.
- Click ‘Continue’ to proceed.
- From the App ID list, select the App ID associated with your app.
- To select and upload the CSR file generated from Keychain, click ‘Choose’.
- To download and save the VoIP certificate, click ‘Download’.
3. Create a provisioning profile for your app
To create a provisioning profile for your app
Navigate to the Provisioning Profiles section on Apple Developer Portal.
Click ‘+’ to add a new Provisioning Profile.
To Set Up Provisioning Profile For Sandbox Environment
Select “iOS App Development” as the provisioning profile type.
Select your App ID.
Select the developer certificates you’d like to include in this provisioning profile.
Select the developer devices you’d like to include in this provisioning profile.
Enter a name for the provisioning profile.
Click Download to download and save the generated profile.
To Set Up Provisioning Profile For Production Environment
If you intend to submit your app to the app store, select “App Store” under Distribution for production environment. Else, select ‘Ad Hoc’ distribution type.
Select your App ID.
Select the iOS distribution certificate you wish to include in this provisioning profile. (This should be the ‘App Store or Ad Hoc’ certificate for your production app.)
Enter a name the provisioning profile.
Click ‘Download’ to download and save the generated profile.
4. Create a Push Credential with your VoIP Service Certificate
The file is downloaded with .mobileprovision extension.
To create a Push Credential with your VoIP Service Certificate
To create Push Credentials with your VoIP Service Certificate
Export your VoIP Service Certificate as a
.p12file from Keychain Access.
Enter a unique name for the certificate and then click Save.
You need not enter a password to create the .p12 file. Click OK if you are prompted to enter a password to protect the exported item. The app private key will get stored in `.p12` format.
5. Update the information in Plivo dashboard
The certificate key and the private key need to be generated from the .p12 file. To generate the files:
1. Create a Certificate Key
Run the following command in terminal to generate the Certificate key:
openssl pkcs12 -in VOIP_SNS.p12 -nokeys -out cert.pem -nodes
2. Create a Private Key
openssl pkcs12 -in Certificates.p12 -nocerts -out key.pem -nodes
Run the following command to process the RSA key:
openssl rsa -in key.pem -out key.pem ``` The RSA Key and Certificate will be generated.
2. Updating information in Plivo dashboard
- From the certificate file, strip anything outside of —–BEGIN CERTIFICATE—– and —–END CERTIFICATE—– boundaries.
- From the key file, strip anything outside of —–BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY—– and —–END RSA PRIVATE KEY—– boundaries.
Paste this text into the UI available in the Plivo Dashboard.
Based on the types of profile and certificate generated from Apple Developer console, choose from either Production or Sandbox environment.
- Click Save to update the changes.
You can change the environment from sandbox to production, but not from production to sandbox. To change your environment to sandbox from production, delete the certificate and create a new one for sandbox. By deleting the production certificate, you will stop receiving incoming calls by all live apps.